A moment with Alfa Sule "O ti ganpa".


Joshua Peters is a 100-L Dramatic Arts Student. He starred as Bayo in the Alfa Sule blockbuster “take heed”. He shares his stardom experience as well as the troupe’s most challenging time.
Can we know about you?
I’m the son of a single parent and probably the husband (laughs). I had my primary and secondary education in Ibadan. 
When did your acting career start?
It started when I was two years old, it’s just this type of role that you will be requested to go up and say your mom is not around. Though I can’t recollect when, but I was told that while I was growing,  I acted with the elders in church. Let’s say I rededicated myself to it in year 2000.
So, we correctly say that your acting career is close to 12 years?
Okay! If you say so
What’s been your driving force?
My driving force is purely evangelism. You see I’m not disputing the fact that preaching and sermons are effective but I have come to realize that drama is the best evangelism tool that we have not utilized. Were you to ask someone the topic of the message the pastor preached last week, he might probably not remember but ask him the title of the movie he watched of 5 years ago, he will correctly recollect. I think what people see when we act sticks longer. Even acting preaches what the Pastor says but in a way more practical.
How did you join Alfa Sule?
What actually happened was that I was already in a church drama group before I joined Alfa Sule in 2005. I was already acting on stage and I cannot stop now that the lord has helped the glory to burst forth, there are still a lot of invitations from churches to present dramas. We still do much of stage drama and I do directing alone, probably if I just can be jack of all trade.
Do you encounter challenges along the line?
There are really no challenges. God is by our side because we believe that in him, every mountain is made low but at times you might just get to a place that is filled with such a crowd and you are like waoh! But I don’t get scared anyway. There have been no challenges except maybe the time some other faith adherents terrorized us.  Though at that time, everybody was afraid but I don’t really see them as a challenge.
You said you were terrorized? Is it because of the name Alfa Sule?
Yea! Something like that but that’s all I can divulge.
What’s ‘Alfa Sule’ up to now?
Actually, people mistake the name for one person but it is actually a troupe. The original name is Christ Chosen Vessels Drama Ministry but it was our fans who nicknamed it “Alfa Sule” because they felt the original name was too long. So it is everybody in the group that is actually referred to as “Alfa Sule”. We are up to a lot of things, because we have a bright future. Where we are going cannot be spoken. I am telling you the fact. God has planned on taking us throughout the whole world. I believe that through “Alfa sule”, places that are ignorant of Christ and Christianity will get to know him. There are places that I have not been to but they will call you to tell you, we have watched your CD. Gradually gradually as it spreads we believe God that the Kingdom of Hell will be depopulated and the Kingdom of Heaven will increase.
What’s your say on the secularization of your slogan “O ti gan Pa”?
Personally, I think it happens because God is with us and two, the uniqueness. Anything God does, people rebrand to copy it, it is grace and it yields fruits to the kingdom. Even Jesus had a lot of people who wanted to copy him. It’s just an evidence of the hand of God.
Is it true that the troupe was taken to court of the name ‘Alfa Sule”?
That’s a huge question. God helped us in settling everything.
Were you scared at being sued?
Yes! We were o! the threat was much. Our accusers had enforcement from Lagos but the challenge was based mainly in Ibadan. It was too much that that my Oga was scared of going out but God just spoke. He is said he is the master planner of our destiny so there is no one that can truncate it no matter how much they try. And we had a peace of mind.
Did you have support from people of your faith?
Oh! We had a lot, a lot of people supported us in prayers, morals and even in person. In fact, not only people of my faith but those of other faith who believed in our ministry and the vision of God which was given unto us. They supported us, they made us understand that there is nothing God cannot do, that if God be for us, who can be against us?
Did you choose to act as ‘bayo’ in ‘take heed’?
First, ‘take heed’ was actually our first production, and I did not choose my role o! no one chooses role, our director will put you in a role. And it was not because of my height. Even if we were to talk about height then I shouldn’t be doing a role like that. ‘Bayo’ was a kid, a school boy and let look at how tall I am. So I saw it as a challenge in terms of fitting into the role. I testify that it was the Holy-Spirit that helped me to fit in. Our fans tend to think it’s because of the height and probably the running skill that I was given that role, but no! that’s was not the case at first, I was not even the original ‘bayo’.
What scene did you like in ‘take heed’?
It was the ‘woli agba’ scene, that scene was da bomb. Many of the things we did on set while recording ‘take heed’, our director - Femi Ajewole will be like ahn ahn, where do you get this idea from? That was how God worked with us. For example the idea of the ‘woli agba’ putting his legs of the table. Should you take a critical look, that’s what’s happening. Another one was the “Oya rerin” scene of the professor and the “je eli kai”.
Was that your first time on set?
Yes! It was, “take heed” was my first time on set officially.
What is the relationship between Christ Chosen Vessels Drama Ministry and Mount Zion Films Ministry?
Mount Zion is the recognized founder of drama ministry, like the father of drama ministry and the Lord has helped us to become the father of dance drama ministry. Our relationship is like a friend relationship. They call us, invite us for their programs, encourage us, advise us. Practically the relationship is just father-son relationship.
How do you cope with stardom?
 God has been helping especially in school. Here (talking of OAU) at times I get to run. At times, I look like one with hunchback (laughs) because I have to bend while walking to avoid recognition. Yet some people still recognize me, they’ll be like, “he’s the one”. You know it is normal.
Can you share one of those moments?
One happened in Amphi-theatre. It was very funny, imagine how big Amphi is? A lady walked round it twice just to confirm if I was ‘bayo’. And when she confirmed, she confronted me like, “ehn! It is you, No! don’t worry, we have LALA here, we have Samuel Ajirebi, so don’t worry. I couldn’t help laughing. Another very funny one happened in Akure. We went to their teaching hospital, a very very big place. I  I alighted from the bike but the bike man did not have balance. So I went to a shop nearby to get change. Between the time I was gone and back, the whole place was already crowded, news of our presence had spread around like wild fire. That’s was very funny because it was surprising. 

By: SONUGA EMMANUEL
    08165967640,
   BB Pin: 22042129

0 comments:

Post a Comment